Monday, September 24, 2007

Just call me frugal...or REALLY cheap!


This picture doesn't have anything to do with the post, but isn't it funny? It's Ford & Maryn at Ben & Jerry's in Charlotte, and it's a good thing it doesn't have sound or you'd hear two hysterical moms laughing like hyenas from behind the board!

Joseph and I are all about saving money these days. We've always had a budget, but we'd gotten very debit card happy as of late. If the money was gone for the month, we'd just swipe it! So we decided that for the month of September, we'd lock up the debit cards and really focus on sticking to the budget. And we've done a good job. But it's the last week of the month, and inevitably, the grocery envelope was looking a little slim. But I was determined to make it work.

I knew we could eat dinner from the freezer this week, but there were some staples that we had to have. Like milk. And bread. And chocolate chip cookies. And since the "Chip Mates" that I bought last week didn't go over so well with Joseph, I knew I would have to get the real deal, his beloved Chips Ahoy. And since Ford has had a turkey hotdog for dinner going on 3 nights now, I figured he'd probably need a little variety, not to mention nutrition, as well.

So this morning during Ford's nap, I raided Joseph's junk drawer and put all the change I could find in a ziploc. I got Ford up, fed him another delicious hotdog, and set off to Wal-Mart, because I wasn't about to go to Kroger for what I was about to do.

We got our groceries, just the bare essentials, headed to self-checkout, and I set up camp. I gave Ford his sippie cup and some Cheerios, rang up my loot, and proceeded to pay for my groceries with $17.26 in change. It took me 8 minutes to get it all in the slot. There was a family behind me with three kids, who I assumed were home schooled, and they just stared in awe. After the first 3 minutes, the mom went around me, but the kids stayed and watched! When I got to the pennies, they started counting. But I just held my head up high and kept at it! I figured I was helping them learn to count change, a very important life skill.

I could have very easily used the debit card, and saved myself some time and a little bit of dignity, but I walked out of there feeling pretty proud of myself! Now I'm going to go pop a bag of Great Value popcorn and curl up with a good book!!

13 comments:

John and Brooke said...

This is probably the funniest thing I have ever read! You and John would be dangerous together because you have that same sarcastic humor :) I love it!! I'm very proud of you for sticking to the budget! Just a little jealous that you get to go to the Wal-Mart in the middle of the day!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! Only, I wish Clay had that much change in his junk drawer! Dave Ramsey would be so proud...

Darby said...

Ok, this makes me laugh out loud! I got M and P Sonic tonight and paid in change but only had to make about $2+ worth of change. I would have loved to have seen this. If you had gone to Kroger you could have put all the change in the machine at the front of the store in exchange for some dollar bills... but of course for a price (I think it's 9%) and then you may not have been able to get your Chips Ahoy! I love this story... it sounds just like me! However, I'm not good at budgets... I'm cheap but don't keep track very well!

Darby said...

Oh, and yes, Dave Ramsey would be so proud. What step would this be?

Ashley Collins said...

I also went to the grocery store with my envelope money today. Didn't have to use all change, but I know how you feel. This budget thing is very hard, especially when you see something really cute for Abby (Ford), and you scrounge for money. Good thing I negotiated an Abby envelope!!!

erinshelton said...

Precious! We are coming to Auburn November 3rd. Mark your calendars because we would LOVE to see you. The house is beautiful by the way!!! Miss you!

yellowbritches said...

that's a fantastic pic. could you please eail it so I can have a hard copy? thanks

Darby said...

I like Ashley's idea of a "Morgan and Paige" envelope... I may need one of those. I just went to Walmart and bought them jammies with owls on them (I mean what Chi O could resist?! And they're organic so I'm saving the eather too! :) Oh my logic is so bad! )... I'll just pretend like they came out of their envelope and now it's empty. Ok, now you can call me Lenzie because I've posted 3 comments.... I'll save the rest of my comments for your next post! :) Hugs to Ford from the girls!

Darby said...

I'm not sure what I meant by the "eather" that was a really bad spelling mistake and not even close to "earth"... ok, done posting comments for sure!

lindsay said...

I can only IMAGINE!!! Sarah, that's priceless, but way to go girl!

em and her boys said...

That story was a highlight of my day - and it's been a good day! You just make me smile, with your head held high counting out pennies! The beauty of a budget is that there's always next month. . .good luck enveloping through October!!

xo-emily

Granny said...

I really wish I could take credit for training you to a budget. I can only imagine what a budget would have been like with you and Bug!! You can't budget those different colored jeans with the label--we just didn't eat. I loved the story when you told me, it really made me smile and I loved it again reading it, another smile. Not to mention the smile the picture put on my face. I finally think I have the comment thing figured out!! So I'm slow.

The Rays said...

now i am going to be the one on your blog saying i am sad that there isn't a new post. after we've seen each other so much lately i am going through withdrawl!! love you guys, jennie