Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Growing Boys and Gardening


Ford turned 2 1/2 on Saturday! I absolutely adore this guy! The things he says and does make me laugh all day long. He loves trucks, trains, dirt and all other things boy. We were driving by a construction site the other day and I said, "Look, there's an excavator!" He replied, "No, Mommy, that's a front-end loader." Whoops! I've finally given up on the food battle and mealtimes are much more pleasant. He'll eat when he's hungry, right? He loves throwing the ball to the dogs and playing on his new playset that Daddy and Dr. Brad built him. We're outside pretty much every second he's awake. He has a temper that we're working on and praying about, but he's got such a sweet heart and is a very kind little boy. He is such a blessing and I LOVE getting to be his mommy.




This little angel turned 10 months on Sunday! His personality is so different from Ford's; while Ford is very high-maintenance (like his mother) and full of energy, Luke is the most laid-back sweetie I've ever met (just like his daddy). To know him is to love him - his smile will melt your heart and does mine multiple times a day! He's not crawling but can roll and scoot anywhere he needs to go. He's just content as he can be to sit and watch his blur of a brother! He's probably not crawling because he spends most of his time in the swing outside! His new nickname, bestowed by his Crawdaddy, is Mohawk, because he's got a strip of black hair on the top of his head and not much anywhere else! Jennie called him a skunk this weekend, but I think we'll stick with Mohawk;) He has 2 bottom teeth and eats anything you put in front of him. He's starting to have a little bit of separation anxiety, but what can I say, he loves his mommy! He says mama and dada and bye bye, and he just starting waving yesterday. I can't believe we'll be celebrating his 1st birthday in 2 short months!


Last summer, my sweet husband built a flower garden for cutting underneath our kitchen window. I actually planted the seeds the day I went into labor with Luke (6 weeks early), so the garden didn't get much love last year! Despite my lack of tending, we have lots of blooms and it makes me smile to think how far we've come since those seeds were planted!
The other day, my parents came over to see the new playset. Both are avid gardeners and have a beautiful yard to prove it. Looking at my garden, my mom gently reminded me that the more you cut them, the more they grow. I couldn't help but think how true this is of people, too. The more God 'cuts' us through challenges with family, friends, jobs, etc., the stronger we can grow towards Him. He's the ultimate gardener, and if we let Him tend to us, the more we will bloom. So today while the boys were napping, I decided to tend to my garden and spent that time praying that my heart will be open to God's 'gardening', and I got some beautiful blooms out of it as well!
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

6 comments:

The Rays said...

great boys, great playset and a great lesson! loved seeing you this weekend. thanks again for coming. can't wait for the beach!! (and sorry about the skunk comment :) )

Maggie M. Cooper said...

Loved you sharing your "gardening lesson":) So true, and so good to hear...your boys are so precious-hope to see yall sometime:)

Allyson said...

The gardening comparison was beautiful and true!! love those boys!! Caleb has a mohawk, too. Eveyone is very quick to point it out. I think it's handsome so go ahead Luke with your mohawk :)!!

The McDonalds said...

Sweet Martin Boys! Our babies will not be babies much longer, can you believe it has been 10 months since our boys were born?
They are precious!

wadebbie said...

It's been a while since I visited your blog (as I tend to spend too much time on PCs at work) and broke into a huge smile today when I saw it. New design, loads of pictures of adorable boys - and a gardening-related story with such heart. Perfection! Less than two weeks until the beach and now I'm even MORE excited to see you all - as if that's possible. Much love to everyone!!!!

The Rouse Family said...

What a sweet sweet post!