Sunday, February 13, 2011

{we did it!}

::i never thought it would happen, but i finished my 1st 1/2 marathon!::
i've NEVER been a runner...when i first started running in july, i would be gasping for air and feeling like i was going to throw up after 2 minutes.


::but with this little speedster, my 'hot to trot' running gals, and the grace of God, i did it!::
shealy had to talk me into it about 5 different times, even offering to pay the entry fee when i used that as one of my many excuses!

::it was one of the most emotional experiences of my life.::
it was the national run to cure breast cancer, so everyone was running for somebody...a friend, a mom, a grandmother, a coworker...we stood beside a lady who just finished chemo in
november and training for this race was what kept her going.
----------------
::tears were streaming down my face for the first 7 miles::
there was a little boy running beside me, probably 11 or 12, and the sign on his back said,
"i'm running for my mom...1959-2007"
i couldn't stop thinking about my boys.
----------------
there were so many people on the side of the road with signs that said
"i'm a survivor!"
and they'd shout
"thank you, thank you, you're running for me!"



::my mom, aunt, uncle & cousin were waiting for us at the finish line::
i'd never been so happy to see them in all my life!
shealy & i both ran the whole way without stopping once and we both beat our goal times, although hers was substantially better than mine! that girl is FAST! i tell myself it's because she's younger and because i have 3 kids, but really, she would have beat me if i was 16 years old and in the best shape of my life!
------------
i went into the weekend just wanting it to be over, saying i'd NEVER do this again.
but it was such an amazing experience that it {may} have to become an annual event!
although next year i'll be looking for a running buddy more my speed...it gets a little lonely running by yourself for almost 2 1/2 hours!

3 comments:

The Muncies said...

GO team hot to trot!!!!!! :) i have loved training this time of year -- don't think i could have stayed with it any other time! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you girls!

yellowbritches said...

man, this wears me out. very proud of your accomplishment. and this is written while lounging on the couch

Unknown said...

What an amazing complishment! So proud of you and Shealy!