Monday, March 22, 2010

The Latest

We just got back from seeing the little guy and he's doing really well! They took him off the ventilator early this afternoon and he's on a cpap, which are the tubes going into his nostrils. He seems so much happier without a huge tube going down his throat! His carbon dioxide levels were off so they started him on something to balance them out. He still has a lot of mucus in his stomach, so they're holding off on any more feedings until they get an x-ray in the morning. He's only lost 2 ounces, which is a huge relief! I know the iv fluids account for some of the weight, but it's still nice to see. And best of all, we got to hold him, which was totally unexpected! We didn't even have the camera with us. He is so precious and such a gift. His nurses have all been amazing, just the kindest people who obviously love what they do. It makes it a lot easier leaving him there knowing he's in such good hands.

Ford has asked a million questions about why Baby Duncan isn't here and why we can't go see him in the hospital...slightly heartbreaking! I can't wait until I have all of my boys together...then the real craziness begins! Thanks again for all the prayers and offers to help! We're just taking it day by day right now. Joseph is going back to work tomorrow to save his days for when we bring Duncan home, so he'll mainly be going to visit Duncan at night. Please pray for safe travels, Duncan's digestive system and continued lung improvement, and the doctors and nurses taking care of him. We appreciate it more than words can express!

11 comments:

Molly said...

you guys will continue to be blanketed in prayer by the fosters. hang in there!

Dorinda said...

Gary and I are praying for precious Duncan and your whole family. Glad he is doing better and ya'll got to HOLD him.

Julie H. said...

Thinking about you and your sweet family. Please let me know if I can help in anyway...I am right down the road.

The Muncies said...

So glad for continued good news!!! We are all willing to do anything! You just ask! :)

The Fullers said...

Sarah, We will continue to pray for ya'll! I told Shealy if you need anything please let me know! I started working in the NICU at Baptist South in January, I only work 1-2 days a week. I do not work until Friday, but will look for you when I am there:)

Ashley said...

Praying, Say!

Brooke and Ron said...

I'm so glad to hear how well Duncan is doing! I know you likely have had other offers, but if you need a place to stay in Montgomery, or just want a place to go take a nap or a shower between visits or something, my mom still lives there about 10 minutes from the hospital. I'm sure she would be thrilled to lend a hand (or a bed), really! Please let me know if you need it. Hang in there!

The Mader's said...

Great to hear! You all hang in there. Duncan is in great hands! xoxo

The Rouse Family said...

Glad he is doing much better....continued prayers your way! Want to help in anyway! (((HUGS)))

The Nebrigs said...

Prayers for sweet baby Duncan are being said!!!

Jennifer Simpson said...

Congrats on your beautiful baby Duncan, Sarah, and I'm sending up prayers for your sweet family! Love you!