Sunday, March 28, 2010

the latest



Today has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster...we were told this morning that Duncan was being moved to an open-air crib sometime today, which is fantastic news. This is the last step before he gets to come home, so we were thrilled to hear this. We went up there this afternoon feeling encouraged, and then were told that they were going to have to do a lumbar puncture to check for infection due to his labs from this morning. The thought of them having to stick a needle in my tiny baby's spine just about pushed me over the edge. The nurse wasn't the friendliest person in the world, and it would be an understatement to say that I didn't exactly handle it well;) Luckily, one of my sister's best friends is a NICU nurse in Birmingham, so Shealy immediately got on the phone with Stacy and she explained the procedure much better and calmed me down!

I did get to give him a bottle today for the first time and he finished it in about 30 seconds and wanted more! I'm hoping they'll increase the amount he's getting tomorrow so we can get some weight back on him. They should have the results from the lumbar puncture in 3 days, but he's been on antibiotics since birth so I'm not sure what would change if they came back showing infection.

It's been a long weekend...I think I finally hit a wall and the tears have been falling pretty freely. It's tough when you can count how much you've held your baby in minutes. And then I look around the NICU and see babies that are so much sicker than Duncan and know that this will pass. Joseph and I say all the time how thankful we are God chose for this to happen with our 3rd baby; we know the drill after going through this with Luke and we have two hysterical boys to come home to who constantly make us laugh and keep us so busy there's not much time to feel sorry for ourselves! I can't wait to have all 3 of them together!

12 comments:

The Muncies said...

soooo praying for yall. i know yall are so ready to have that sweet boy home!! praying the results of this test clears him and gets him one step closer to HOME! :)

The Reeds said...

Oh Sarah, he is beautiful!! That sweet angel is perfect! I'm sorry about the roller coaster. We are praying! Thank you for keeping us updated:)

Michelle said...

Hang in there Sarah. I know you are blessed that Duncan is healthier than some of the other babies in the NICU but it still hurts to have him there. Praying that God will continue to heal and speed Duncan's recovery.

thebarronfam said...

We can't wait for him to come home either! He looks a little like Luke to me in this pic!

Molly said...

Praying for great test results and for your continued strength through all of this. Hang in there...Duncan will be home before you know it. By the way, just like the other two Martin boys... HE IS BEAUTIFUL!

The Nebrigs said...

Oh Sarah, I am praying for you guys. Duncan is precious!!

Amber said...

I am praying for all of you Sarah! I hope he comes home very soon!

Ashley said...

awwwwwwwww, Say! I guess those tears were bound to fall, but it BREAKS MY HEART to hear you're having a hard time! I wish I could do something for you, but I'm praying-and know GOD has all the Martins in HIS control. So glad you have Joseph to lean on! I know he's reminding you all the time time of your blessings! I hope he's on his way home soon! LOVE YOU!

The Vaughns said...

Oh Sweet Sarah, I can only image what you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with yall! Please let me know when I can help with the boys. Love yall!

Maggie M. Cooper said...

Let those tears flow:) You have had a little bit on your plate, I think! Duncan is such a precious blessing, and the day he comes home will be so wonderful! Praying for you to have all your men together:) Love you!

Stacy and John said...

Bless your sweet heart! I know this is a roller coaster. Glad I answered some questions yesterday and that it provided comfort. Sometimes nurses just get so caught up in "the job" and "the task" that needs to be accomplished, that they can forget to take the necessary time to answer questions to the parents. It's not right, and it shouldn't ever happen! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Feel free to relay questions anytime, and like I told Bug-- don't ever hesitate to ask for the Dr or Nurse Practitioner directly. No one will get offended, it's your right as the Mama!! :) And, you're so correct in that yall truly are blessed. This will pass, and Duncan will be home soon.

Anonymous said...

You all are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if you all need anything.

Jonathan and Casey